A successful career isn’t always guaranteed by your career track and education, there are many other ways to create success. Here’s our top seven ways to create career success, no matter what industry.
1. Leverage Relationships – Some people will see others as a means to get what they want, stomping and rolling over people along the way. The savvy career person will not only treasure these people on their path, they will build relationships and leverage them.
2. Continue Learning and Growing – No matter how much you know or how high your education, there’s always more to be learned. Those who create career success continue to learn about the latest and greatest inventions, tools and techniques. They never get to a status of “knowing it all.”
3. Become a Leader – When other people see you as a leader—both in your industry and in your workplace, your chances of success skyrocket. To become a leader, you’ll need to think and act like it. And leaders lead. Do your current behaviors model leadership mentality?
4. Think Creatively – Creative thinkers can quickly and easily adapt to all situations, people, and change. It’s these thinkers who are flexible and create solutions for the organization that end up getting noticed. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box.
5. Work for the “Right” Company – Being paired up with the right company that matches your personality and values greatly increases your chances for career success. Working with a company that doesn’t allow you to grow, lead or think creatively will stifle your success. Don’t be afraid to make a move when you’ve come to realize that you aren’t in the right place.
6. Build/Mentor a Great Team – It’s hard to have success with the support of a great team. So, not only should you look to hire the best and most brightest people, but mentor them to help them achieve their own success and potential as well.
7. Stay Hungry – Find a way to keep your drive, motivation and passion towards what you do and who you serve. It’s up to you to own your performance and engagement level. As soon as you checkout, it’ll be felt. Find a way to keep yourself fully involved and invested in your work.
While we know this list just scratches the surface of this topic, we’d love for you to assess which of these you are excelling in and where you could use improvement.
Plus, we’d love to know what you else you believe will give you career success. Share those things here in the comments below.