Like many things in life, careers are cyclical. We have periods of intense happiness, hard work, and feeling passionate. Then again, we also experience low periods with frustration, exhaustion or even boredom.
It is possible to increase the periods of happiness and reduce the other times in your career. We wanted to offer a few ways you can stay passionate and energized in your career, even when you may not be “feeling it!”
- Take a class, course, or other professional development offering where you can hone your skills, learn something new, and take your experience up a level.
- Remember why you choose your career in the first place. What was it you were passionate about, and how can you ensure that passion is being integrated into your work.
- Take time off. Whether a stay-vacation, a single day off, or a true vacation/get-away – get out of your normal routine and recharge.
- Volunteer your time or services. Volunteering has proven to increase moral and productivity, and it greatly enhances your overall perception about life in general. Find a cause you care about, and spend time giving back.
- Ask to be included in a new project, take on a new task, or do something out of the ordinary at the office.
- Mentor someone new in your industry. This gives you a chance to experience the passion and commitment of someone new, and it also offers you a chance to reconnect with how far you’ve advanced over the years.
- Enjoy the lull. Ironically, when your experiencing a lull, it’s a great time to actually enjoy the cycle of life. So, you aren’t as busy in the office, perhaps you’re even bored, what could you now use your for since you have some extra time?
These are just a few, simple things you can do to get re-energized about your career. What do you do when you want to recharge or renew your commitment to your work ? We’d love to know, please leave a comment below.