Many people right now are saying they are “just happy to have a job,” but what if you aren’t satisfied with just any old job and are ready to finally land that ultimate dream job?
First, let’s start by saying that even though the reports state that unemployment is at all time high, which is true –90% of the population is still employed and new jobs and positions are being created every day. In a down economy as businesses shift and find new ways to market their services, attract new clients, and create new products new dream opportunities are born.
If you are looking for your dream job here are five ways to help you get exactly what you want.
- Clarity. Get clear on what your dream job looks like to you. Think about the office environment, your co-workers, your daily schedule, travel, etc. Once you get a clear picture you can begin to weed out any corporations that aren’t ideal for your lifestyle and goals.
- Network. Most job seekers make the mistake of networking only when they need something, even if you are not currently looking, be sure to stay connected with your circle of influence and be a go-giver. Do your part in helping others and when you are ready to make a move, your network will be more than willing to help you out.
- Listen. Keep your ears open and your eyes peeled. Your new opportunity could come from unexpected sources. Perhaps you watch the local news and see a story about an upcoming company that would be your ideal dream job!
- Back Door It. If you have your eye on a particular company find ways to connect with other employees of the company – hence social media is a great place for this. A big majority of people are on Facebook, Twitter, and Linked In and they aren’t hard to find either.
- Keep an Open Mind. Even though you may have a clear vision of what you want, some companies may not look like that vision on the outside. Be sure to stay open minded and give companies or opportunities a chance before you completely dismiss them. Sometimes the best come in the worst packages.